Hollywood Garage Door Service
Having a functioning garage door is a basic necessity for virtually everyone in Florida. It’s particularly important when the yearly storms head to town, and if you have internal access from your garage, you’ll want to be sure that your door is always ready to operate when you most need it. Of course, there are times when problems can occur, which is why you’ll always need to have the number to a leading garage door repair company on hand.
One thing that can lead to necessary repairs, and it’s also something that many owners worry about, is how many support struts should be used on a garage door. If this is something that has been on your mind, then the team at Garage Door Pros is here to shed some light on the matter.
Are There Enough Support Struts on Your Garage Door?
Without a single support strut, your garage door would simply bulge and fall apart. Struts are essential, because they keep everything in line whenever your garage is being raised and lowered. Struts are typically made from steel to offer excellent support and lifetime, but it is possible to find aluminum used in some installations. While aluminum can provide enough support for lighter garage doors, it is typically softer and more prone to bending and failure.
The number of struts on your door will depend entirely on weight. It’s impossible to tell you how many struts you will need, without first examining your door, the materials used, and its raising/lowering mechanism. However, we can tell you that heavier doors made from wood and metal can sometimes need up to two support struts per panel. If you have a heavy garage door that has only a single strut on panels, then you could be in for sagging problems in the future.
If you’re ever concerned about your door, then it’s time to talk to our Hollywood garage door service experts. One telltale sign that you don’t have the right kind of support, is when you are having difficulty opening or closing the garage, there is visible sag, or the ‘smoothness’ of the opening mechanism has deteriorated since the garage door was installed. In some cases, you may even see obvious damage to the struts or your garage door. Poorly designed struts or struts that weren’t designed to meet the weight requirements of your door panels, will display signs of bending or warping. They may be coming visibly loose at their mounting points, or they may even rattle or move when you gently check them by hand.
Although these problems aren’t a 100% confirmation that you have too few struts, they will still let you know that it’s time to call a garage door repair company to make sure that your door is in good working order, and protected from future damage or failures.
Finding the Right Hollywood Garage Door Repair Company to Service Your Garage Door
If you’re like most homeowners, then any time that you need a business to perform maintenance or repairs at your home, you will always make sure that you’re getting the best possible company. It doesn’t matter whether it’s an air conditioner repair service, tree removal or landscaping service, or a Hollywood garage door service, this statement remains true.
If you’re looking for experts in the Hollywood area of Florida, then it’s time to talk to Garage Door Pros. Although we’re a relatively young company, we’ve quickly become a trusted industry leader. In the past five years, we’ve gained plenty of recognition and positive customer feedback for our garage door repairs, servicing, and installations in South Florida.
Determining the number of struts that you need is all about expertise, just like any other problem that you might be experiencing with your garage door. We bring that expertise to every job that we attend, so that you can have accurate advice and necessary repairs for any problem. Whether those problems are electronic, mechanical, or even related to a poor installation, we’ll have the right solutions and experience to ensure that you are left with a fully functioning garage door, and one that is at a reduced risk of failure in the future.
Contact our garage door repair company for any of your garage door problems, and we’ll ensure that one of your home’s most valuable assets is always in top working condition.
When anything goes wrong in your home, you want to know that an expert can come and fix it. That goes even more so for your garage doors. After all, your garage is protecting some of the most valuable items you own. Before you have a garage door installed, check that it's one of these three types. Here at Garage Door Pros, we can send out our Fort Lauderdale garage door repair specialists to help you if you have any of them, and they need repair.
Keeping Your Garage Door In Good Repair Is Vital
There's a few reasons why you need to keep your garage door in good condition:
- Keep the bad guys out: The issue of security is a big one. Your car is one of the most expensive items you own, and any thief knows that. That's why you need to ensure that your garage door is working as intended, and keeping them out.
- To protect from the elements: The wind and rain can really do a number on your home, so you need your garage door to be able to stand up to the abuse. If rain gets inside, it's the fastest way to mold in your garage, and to your tools rusting if they're kept there.
- To avoid malfunction: No one wants to think about the door malfunctioning, but it can happen. You don't want your car to end up trapped because the door won't work, so you need to keep it in good working condition.
- Avoid injury or accidents: We all know that one person who had their garage door fall on them, or their car. If your garage door is in poor condition, it may malfunction and cause injury. To avoid that, you need to keep it in good condition.
Types Of Garage Door That Can Be Repaired By Us
Here are the three types of garage door that can be fixed by our Fort Lauderdale garage door service:
- Sectional Garage Doors: These are the most commonly used garage doors in residential homes. They lift up and against the ceiling of your garage, allowing the car in under it. They're popular as they save a lot of space, and are often one of the most simple to install.
- Side Hinged Door: These doors open in the middle and outwards in order to give entry to the garage. Having the installed is usually a cosmetic choice, although they're just as good at protecting your garage from the elements as any other type of door.
- Up and Over Garage Doors: These are somewhat unique as they swing up and out before being stored. They are very popular with homeowners though, due to the fact they're simple to use when storing your car.
How To Keep Your Garage Doors In Good Repair
- Look and listen: Every time you use the door, watch and listen to it. Does the door move smoothly, or is becoming jerky? Can you hear any untoward noises coming from it? If so, you may have to conduct some additional checks to find the source of the problem.
- Inspect the door regularly: Really have a good look at your garage door. Are there cracks showing anywhere? Is the seal coming away at the edges? Can you see water or other debris coming in underneath it? If there are any major problems, you may need to call a garage door repair company, such as ourselves.
- Lubricate moving parts: If this step isn't taken, then the parts could stiffen up and not work correctly. Use an aresol spray lubricant to oil up the combination hinge and rollers, and the lock mechanism on the door. Always check the manufacturer's guide before doing this, to ensure the parts are lubricated properly.
- Clean out any debris blocking the door: A door may not shut properly if it senses that something is in the way. Clean everything out of the doorway, including leaves and other natural debris. Consider installing a moisture sealant as it stops anything getting under the door.
- Check the cables: You should never touch cables yourself, as they can be dangerous and cause serious injury. If you see any damage though, you need to call in an expert.
- Inspect the rollers: These are used all the time in opening and closing the garage door, so they can take a decent amount of wear and tear. If they're seen to be chipped or otherwise damaged, they may need to be replaced.
As you can see, it's important to keep your garage door in top condition. If you don't, you could end up with a costly repair job. Call Garage Doors Pro out to take a look, and we can nip problems in the bud.
Garage Door Service In Davie
At this time of year, you need to make sure the weather stays where it belongs, that is, outside of your home. There's lots of ways to weather proof your home, but remember that your garage needs to be protected, too. Not sure where to start? Don't worry, your local garage door service Davie is here to help you out. Here's some tips to get you started.
Keep The Weather Out Of Your Garage
Your garage has plenty in there that you need to protect. Your car isn't instantly damaged by bad weather, but you'd rather keep it out of the elements when you're not using it. Plus, you probably keep a lot of other valuable items, such as a lawnmower or tools, in there.
There's another good reason for weather proofing your garage. Keeping moisture out means that you're keeping the mold out, too. without anything getting in, there's nothing encouraging mold to grow. If your garage has a room of your house above it, that's a serious concern.
Top Tips For Moisture Sealing Your Garage
So, how do you moisture seal your garage door? Here are some top tips from the experts.
- Measure your garage door: Before you do anything else, make sure you measure that door. You'll need to get new sealing materials, and ensure that they're the right size.
- Remove the old garage door seals properly: Obviously, you're going to need to remove the old seals properly if you're going to put new ones in. Pull the door open enough so the door track doesn't get in the way, and then slide out the old rubber seals. If they're stuck, cut it and remove it in pieces. Just make sure the whole thing is removed.
- Clean the area you're installing moisture sealing in: Before installing anything, make sure that the area is clean first. If you don't, you still run the risk of mold and mildew coming in.
- Get yourself a helper: Once you've cut the new moisture sealant to size and started trying to install it, you'll see that it's more difficult than it looks. Getting it slide across the door takes a lot of pushing and pulling. This is where it's helpful to someone else on hand. They can help you get the new sealant in with much less effort than it would be on your own.
- Don't forget to replace the door stop: Remember to pry off the old door stop, and install the new one with the lip for better sealing against the weather.
Benefits Of Sealing Your Garage Door
There's lots of reasons why you might want to ask a Davie garage door repair company to moisture seal your garage door:
- Keep rain water out: If the wind is driving rain directly at your garage door, it's easy for the rain to get inside and start flooding. A stop behind the door provides an effective barrier and saves your garage from becoming an impromptu swimming pool.
- Protect your belongings: Your belongings are susceptible to rust if they're exposed to water, especially your tools. Keep the garage dry and everything in it safe.
- Avoid mold: As we mentioned earlier, mold can spread quickly in damp areas and is very difficult to remove. If you can, you want to keep it out of your home. Buying a moisture seal doesn't cost much, so it's a worthwhile investment to stop this happening.
- Keep out other unwanted elements: It's not just the weather you want to keep out of your garage. There's rodents, leaves and other debris that can all get in through a single crack in your garage door. A moisture seal is a good physical barrier that can't be attacked, as it sits behind your garage door. That way, nothing is going to make its way in.
When You Should Call The Experts
You don't always need to call in a Davie garage door repair contractor to get a moisture seal replaced. It's a job that, with a little time and patience, that you can get done yourself. After all, nothing feels better than tackling a DIY job yourself, does it?
However, sometimes you'll need to call on an expert. Maybe you've never done anything like this before, and you don't feel comfortable doing it. This is especially true if you don't want to invalidate the guarantee on a fairly new garage door. In that case, it's a good idea to ask an expert to take a look.
If you've already found the elements making their way into their garage, you'll want an expert to check it before you make any repairs yourself.
With these tips, you can get the moisture sealant in and guarding the garage right away. Try it for yourself.
You might live in a relatively calm area, or you might live in an area that is constantly riddled with storms. It’s hard for us to say, but if you live in the State of Florida, then as a Weston garage door repair specialist, we’re going to guess that you’ve seen your fair share of storms in the area. That being said, you’re going to need to have some idea about your garage door’s wind resistance.
It might seem like a mundane detail, but knowing the number can save you thousands of dollars in property damage and potentially even save lives. So what exactly do you need to know about wind resistance? The first thing we’re going to tell you, as a top rated garage door service in Weston, is that garage doors are assigned a rating based on their ability to withstand different wind speeds. This should factor heavily into your decision to purchase a garage door for your home.
Weston Garage Door Repair Advice – How does Wind Load Work?
Believe it or not, a full 80% of monetary damage cause during severe hurricanes in the state of Florida can be attributed to the home’s garage door, and if the door fails, there is likely to be roof damage. Without wind resistance measures in place, you’re probably going to end up paying for thousands of dollars in structural repairs, and that’s really just the start of it. Did you know that you can save up to 30% on your home repairs during a hurricane just by securing your door? It’s not only important for monetary reasons, it’s also a great way to achieve peace of mind.
Getting Ready for the Worst Weather
First and foremost, you want to make sure that your primary garage door is impact resistant. Once you have that sorted out, make sure it’s ready to face the nasty weather that a hurricane can and probably will bring. Did you know that just one inch of water or ice can run up a massive repair bill once all is said and done? Don’t worry, there are things you can do to keep your door in good shape.
Check Code Requirements
The city you live in will have code requirements for garage doors, especially in the case of wind resistance. Your garage door needs to not only withstand high winds, it needs to withstand winds that sometimes peak at 130 miles per hour.
Brace the Door
You can either build a brace for the garage door yourself or you can build one from a kit. If you’re unsure how to proceed, our Weston garage door repair services can definitely come in handy. We’ll make sure you’re ready to ride out the storm with your home intact – it’s definitely the least we can do!
Normal Weather Considerations
You aren’t always going to be facing hurricanes or blizzards. Sometimes you’ll just have the occasional thunderstorm, or maybe even a tornado depending upon the time of year. Storms can cause minor damage, so make sure you check the wind resistance of the door that you are buying – it’s an extra step and can cost you a little bit more, but in the end, it’s well worth it for the added peace of mind.
If the prospect of protecting your garage door from the wind isn’t enough to get you excited then we have something else of interest for you: power savings. One of the greatest benefits of using a wind resistant garage door is the energy efficiency; it does a great job of trapping air, meaning you won’t have to worry about leaks or temperature changes that would otherwise drive up your electric bill.
As you can see, there are many things to consider and as a Weston garage door repair specialist, we strongly recommend that you invest heavily in a garage door that can deflect even the strongest winds. Florida can be a very unforgiving place for homeowners, but with the right investments, you won’t need to be forgiven at all.
There are quite a few upsides to living in Florida, but you already knew that. The sun, the beaches, the palm trees, and the specialty beach shops that you’ll only find in the area. Sure, it creates an amazing surreal environment unlike anything you’ll find anywhere else in the United States, but the weather is definitely the downside. Hurricanes are a constant in Florida, and that means you need to prepare. One thing you may not realize, especially if you are new to the area, is that Florida has different construction requirements for homes built after 2010 when it comes to wind resistance.
You see, the state of Florida faces some rather unique challenges and with that being the case, while you are free to build a home in any manner that you like, there is always a chance that your insurance company will actually deny you coverage, or at least full coverage based upon the state of your home. While this is unfortunate, it is necessary. As a Miramar garage door repair, we strongly recommend making sure that your door is prepared for the inevitable, but as storms draw near, there are a few extra precautions that you can take.
Tips from your Miramar garage Door Service: Protect your Windows
The importance of protecting your windows cannot be overstated if your garage door has them. Some people will make the mistake of barricading the windows from the inside of the door, but that simply isn’t going to help. Instead, you should make an effort to barricade from the outside in order to keep the wind from touching the glass during the course of the storm. You may need to build a structure to support several plywood sheets. Plywood is more flexible than glass and will have a much easier time of deflecting the wind than glass ever would.
The Second Tip: Build a Barricade
Supporting the windows is important for the preservation of your garage door in the face of a windstorm or even a hurricane, but you must also consider the rest of the structure. We recommend building a frame behind the door that supports the center and the sides so that the door does not buckle or cave when presented with fierce winds. Keep in mind that any barricade is going to be susceptible to failure, but when properly built from strong wood, you should find that it stands up quite well.
Help is a Phone Call Away
You will do all you can to make sure that your garage door is in decent condition and that it remains that way for the foreseeable future, especially during some of the most violent storms, but that doesn’t mean you won’t need a good garage door repair company on your side at some point. Our company specializes in repairs whether the damage came from the wind, wear and tear, or simple accidents.
Let’s be honest for a moment; your garage door is a very important part of your home, perhaps even more important than you realize at the moment. You use it to enter your home (as opposed to using the front door in most cases), you store your vehicle behind it, it’s the entrance to your storage area, and without it, you’re going to have to change your entire routine. Don’t’ let it get to that point!
You might not need a garage door repair company like us at the moment, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have us on speed dial. There will come a point that you do need us, and when that day comes, you want to make sure that you have experts ready and willing to whip your door into shape. Now would be a great time to start looking at our website and making sure that you’re covered in the event something goes wrong. We have years of experience and we’re ready to use it to get your garage door in working order.