Call: (954) 830-9661
When you have a new garage door installed, you can expect them to keep going for years and years without needing serious work. Like all machinery though, every now and again the door may start to malfunction. There’s no need to worry though, as most issues can easily be resolved. Here are two reasons why your garage door might be malfunctioning, and how you can resolve the issue.
1. There’s A Software Or Connectivity Issue
Modern garage doors, installed in the last 15 or 20 years, use software and equipment that can become interrupted. This leads to malfunctions as the signals the door is receiving aren’t correct. Luckily, most of these issues are easily fixed. Here’s what can happen when these components have issues:
- The photo eye is blocked: The photo eye on your door fires a laser across the bottom. If that laser is interrupted, it won’t allow the door to raise or lower, to ensure your safety. Check the cord to the eye hasn’t been damaged, or that there’s no dirt blocking the eye.
- Sensitivity isn’t set correctly: If the sensitivity of your door is set too low or too high, then it will not open. Check the manufacturer’s instructions, and reset your sensitivity to fix this.
- The remote control won’t work: If it’s just the remote that won’t work, then there are several fixes you can try. Firstly, try changing the batteries. If that doesn’t work, the antennae on the motor may be damaged, so check that. If these don’t work, you may need to reprogram the remote itself.
- The limit setting needs adjustment: If your door shuts but then pops open again, it may need the limit setting adjusting. This happens because the door is set incorrectly, so it thinks it’s hit an obstacle rather than the ground. Use the manufacturer’s instructions to reset this.
2. There’s A Mechanical Issue
The garage door is made of many moving parts, so sometimes things will go wrong. Here are the most common problems:
- The power source is interrupted: It sounds obvious, but this can happen when the door is disconnected. Check there’s power in your garage, and that the door is plugged into the power source.
- The torsion springs are broken: You’ll know if a spring breaks as it makes a loud noise, like a gunshot or firework. If this has broken, it’s best to call a Davie garage door repair company to help you get the springs fixed.
- Garage door cables have snapped: This is another common problem and often happens when the torsion springs break. Again, the best way to fix this issue will be to hire a Davie garage door repair contractor to fix the issue.
- The door has come off its track: If the door isn’t properly on the track, then it won’t slide properly. This can happen if you’ve suffered a recent storm, and the door has been hit by heavy rain, hail, or debris. Check for dents of bumps in the door, and listen to it when it opens, to see if it’s squeaking or creaking. If you can find the dents, it may be possible to gently tap them out to rectify the problem.
- The door is locked: Again, this sounds obvious, but it can be what’s wrong. After all, the simplest solution is often the correct one. If the motor is running but the door won’t open, check that it isn’t locked. If it is, it’s an easy fix.
Hiring A Professional
If you aren’t able to fix the issue by yourself, it’s not a problem. You can hire Davie garage door repair services to come in take a look at your door, and repair the issue for you.
This is often a good idea if you feel the repair job is out of your skill set, or if you’re not sure how to mend the door yourself. They have the expertise to help you get your garage door working again when you need it the most.
If you need help with your garage door, give us a call at Garage Door Pros. We’ll have you up and run again in no time.